Programs & Services
Our Programs and Services
Matthews HELP Center is a thriving and growing organization, serving an average of over 490 families per month. We offer an array of programs and services, and are always reassessing and considering additional services to assist our neighbors in need.
- Financial Crisis Assistance - Meeting life’s basic needs (rent, utilities, etc.).
- Food Pantry - Non-perishable and perishable food and hygiene items - Clients are provided with a one (1) week supply of food for their household.
- Backporch Treasures Thrift Boutique - Donated clothing and household items are provided at no cost to qualifying clients, and at a minimal cost to the public.
- Community Referrals - links to additional resources for assistance.
The following items are required in order to make an assessment of need and must be brought to your appointment.
Picture ID for all adults: Driver’s license, state picture ID, or passport.
Social Security Card for all household members.
Proof of Income for everyone in the household: check stubs, a letter from employer verifying pay or proof of any income household has (all room mates, etc.).
Receipts to show how household has recently spent money they have had: insurance, bills paid, etc.
Proof of emergency: Doctor’s disability statement, medical bills, eviction notice, cut-off notices.
Rental/Homeowners information: Rent receipts, lease, landlord’s name and phone number, mortgage papers.
- Back 2 School Program - Students receive a new backpack with grade appropriate school list and supplies. Last August, 517 students received backpacks!
Back 2 School 2015: Current Needs List
- BounceBack Backpack Program - Many local children receive free or reduced breakfasts and lunches at school, but may have no food on the weekends. The BounceBack Backpack program provides healthy, kid-friendly, non-perishable food every weekend throughout the school year. This food will not only supplement a hungry child's diet, but may also ease anxieties, improve attention span, and increase academic performance.
A "menu" has been developed to provide a variety of meal and snack items throughout the month. These backpacks go home with students every weekend throughout the entire school year. The BounceBack Backpack program served 70 local elementary students in 2014-2015 school year.
- Thanksgiving Feast Program — Provides Thanksgiving Feast for an entire household.
- Holiday Support Program - Matthews HELP Center provides needy families in the area with stocking stuffers, toys, clothing, gift wrapping, etc. for each child in the home. Eligible clients are able to shop in our Holiday House "store" with a MHC voucher. This provides them the opportunity to budget and choose holiday gifts for their children.
Professional Financial Planner
- "Get it Together" Financial Planner meets one-on-one with clients to avoid cyclical financial crises.
The mission of Matthews HELP Center is to help our neighbors and those in surrounding communities survive financial crisis by providing short-term assistance.
Today, I visited Matthews HELP Center. I was presented with one of your best representatives, Mrs. Kelly. She greeted me with the most beautiful smile.
We gathered in her office where she asked me the most concerning questions. She was very attentive to my needs. She expressed great care and concern for me continuing my education. She was willing to exhaust every avenue to help me.
In this day and age, you don't meet people like her often. Kelly, you are truly a Godsend. God will bless you for your concern and genuine love for people. You have truly made a difference in my life. Keep doing what you are doing. It comes natural for you. You are truly an angel.
Thank you with all my heart for making my life a little easier.