Programs & Services
Our Programs and Services
Matthews HELP Center is a thriving and growing organization, serving an average of over 490 families per month. We offer an array of programs and services, and are always reassessing and considering additional services to assist our neighbors in need.
- Financial Crisis Assistance - Meeting life’s basic needs (rent, utilities, etc.).
- Food Pantry - Non-perishable and perishable food and hygiene items - Clients are provided with a one (1) week supply of food for their household.
- Clothing - Backporch TreasuresThrift Boutique provides a variety of items as needed.
- Community Referrals - links to additional resources for assistance.
The following items are required in order to make an assessment of need and must be brought to your appointment.
Picture ID for all adults: Driver’s license, state picture ID, or passport.
Social Security Card for all household members.
Proof of Income for everyone in the household: check stubs, a letter from employer verifying pay or proof of any income household has (all room mates, etc.).
Receipts to show how household has recently spent money they have had: insurance, bills paid, etc.
Proof of emergency: Doctor’s disability statement, medical bills, eviction notice, cut-off notices.
Rental/Homeowners information: Rent receipts, lease, landlord’s name and phone number, mortgage papers.
- Coordination between community resources, contributors and residents in need.
- 310 Weekly Volunteers—active status
English as Second Language Classes (ESL)
- Unique conversational classes. Beginner and intermediate levels. No charge after a refundable $10 registration fee.
Health Related Services
- Registered nurse at Center Wednesday and Friday 9:30am - 12:00pm.
- Medical Equipment Lending Program
- Donated clothing and household items are available for sale at very low prices in Backporch Treasures, our Thrift Boutique.
- Back 2 School Program - Matthews HELP Center works with the Kiwanis club to provide new clothing and school supplies to area children who are in need. The Kiwanis club assists families shopping for clothing, while the MHC provides a new backpack and school supplies for each participating child. These items are provided through donors. Each year 100+ children are served.
- BounceBack Backpack Program - Many children will be receiving free or reduced breakfasts and lunches at school, but will have no food on the weekends. With your help, Matthews HELP Center will provide food for 60 identified children at three local elementary schools. The BounceBack Backpack program provides healthy, kid-friendly, non-perishable food every weekend throughout the school year. This food will not only supplement a hungry child's diet, but may also ease anxieties, improve attention span, and increase academic performance. It is very difficult for children to concentrate in school when concerned about their next meal. In order to provide food for 60 children every Friday, we need your support. Will you help feed a hungry child? Opportunities can include "adopt a weekend" or monetary donations.
Please contact Kelly Trott, Social Worker, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 704-847-8383, ext. 231, to find out how you can help. Thank you in advance for YOUR support which allows Matthews HELP Center to serve the needs of this community!
- Thanksgiving Feast Program — Provides Thanksgiving Feast for entire household. If you are interested in this Seasonal Program, please contact Molly Kennedy, Social Worker, by email at email@example.com or by phone at 704-847-8383, ext. 224.
- Holiday Adoption Program - Matthews HELP Center identifies needy families in the area and matches them with various donors to provide holiday gifts and food. If you are interested in this Seasonal Program, please contact Molly Kennedy, Social Worker, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 704-847-8383, ext. 224.
DSS Community Partnership
- As the Matthews DSS Community Partner, a DSS worker assesses Food and Nutritional Services, Medicaid applications, and all other DSS services on-site. Our DSS Partner is available by appointment the 1st & 3rd Mondays each month from 1:30-4:00 p.m. for all residents of Mecklenburg County.
Professional Financial Planner
- "Get it Together" Financial Planner meets one-on-one with clients to avoid cyclical financial crises.
The mission of Matthews HELP Center is to help our neighbors and those in surrounding communities survive financial crisis by providing short-term assistance.
Today, I visited Matthews HELP Center. I was presented with one of your best representatives, Mrs. Kelly. She greeted me with the most beautiful smile.
We gathered in her office where she asked me the most concerning questions. She was very attentive to my needs. She expressed great care and concern for me continuing my education. She was willing to exhaust every avenue to help me.
In this day and age, you don't meet people like her often. Kelly, you are truly a Godsend. God will bless you for your concern and genuine love for people. You have truly made a difference in my life. Keep doing what you are doing. It comes natural for you. You are truly an angel.
Thank you with all my heart for making my life a little easier.